Placing a hold reserves a copy of the item with the soonest availability, although some items have longer hold lists/waiting time than others. Our 30-library consortium’s resource-sharing model allows a hold to be placed on most items, to be picked up at the library of your choice when it becomes available.
Holds may be placed:
- By Phone. To place a hold on a library item over the phone, call Prosser Public Library at 860-243-9721, or McMahon Wintonbury Library at 860-242-0041.
- In-Person. You may place a hold on a library item in-person at either library location.
- Online. To place an item on hold through the online library catalog, click the “Request It” button next to the item title.(You will be asked to log into your account, if you haven’t done so already.) A box will appear on the screen to confirm your hold. Use the dropdown menu to choose the library from which you want to pick up the item, and then click the “Submit” button.To view the status of your holds in your online library account, login to your account, and then click “Holds” in the left-hand menu.
To view the status of your holds in your online library account, login to your account, click on your name in the top right corner of the screen, and then click “Holds” in the left-hand menu.
If you are searching for a particular item that does not belong to any of our consortium libraries (which includes 30 libraries in north-central CT), the item may be available at another Connecticut library. You may borrow items from any public library in CT using your public library card (university and special libraries may have borrowing restrictions).
Ask a librarian in-person or by phone to check the availability of an item in Connecticut libraries outside our consortium, or search the online library catalogs below:
- Bibliomation Public Libraries (includes towns in western and eastern CT)
- LION Public Libraries (includes towns in southern CT)
- Hartford Public Library
- Waterford/Groton/Mystic Public Libraries
- CT State Library (CT residents may apply for a state library card)
- CT State Universities
- CT Community Colleges (or try a combined search)
- UConn Health Center (Lyman Maynard Stowe Medical Library)
- UConn Law Library